Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

All about Primers

What's a Primer?  A Primer really is anything used to prep skin before makeup is applied (not shirley biko! hehe) And it makes your makeup last all day.  Its not a very necessary step,  as some may skip it..  but if you are so inclined, its has awesome benefits.  For one,  it creates an invisible barrier between your skin and the foundation/powder.  And that in turn protects your skin from the aging (yes I said aging) long term effects of makeup.  A primer in essence will make your makeup sit ON your skin without creating any damage like clogged pores for example.

There are 3 types of Primers known to woman (JK)

Face Primer: Moisturize thoroughly after cleansing,  let it sink in for at least 2 minutes and then spread a thin layer of primer all over your face and neck.  Let it sit for another 5 minutes while you--(curl your hair, brush it or put on your lace wig, lol) Then put your foundation on over it and get your groove on.

 Just make sure you find the right Primer for your skin type.  A mattefying (Oil reducing) Primer is best for oily skin types,  it keeps your face from producing excess oil,  therefore saving you the task of touching up your face several times a day.  A tried and true example is Makeup for Ever HD Microperfecting Primer.  It comes in about 7 shades that correct and cover at the same time.  It will  not change the color of your foundation,  rather it corrects and conceals imperfections.  I also love the primers Smashbox carries.

Eye Primer:  Use after your eyecream ( I find that this makes the base go on smoother.)  This makes your eye makeup last all day without smudging or budging.  It intensifies the eyeshadow also ,  if you use a similar color as the base ( I didn't mention that eye primers could be clear,  or come in different colors that can be used as an eyeshadow as well.)
The best I know about for now is Urban Decay Primer Potion.  And Mac has several paint pots that last a very long time.  Another Primer/base for eyes is the one for lashes,  and you can put this on before your regular mascara,  to give an effect of false lashes.  I personally have tried false lashes,  and my eyes just hated them! I woke up with gunk all over my lashes.  My tried and true Faves are Lancome Oscillation Power Booster( All you do is place them on your lashes and it does all the work by vibrating),  and Loreal Double Extend with lash boosting serum.  I think I actually like the 2nd one better,  and its cheaper too!


Lip Primer:  Not as common,  just because its such a pain to use all this stuff! I personally think you can prime your lips for lipgloss/ lipstick with chapstick or any lipbalm ...They work as well.  If you need to get your lips in a favorable condition before applying lipstick,  use your toothbrush or a wet washcloth to massage away dry, chapped skin.  Be careful though because you can hurt yourself if you use a firm hand.  Make sure your lips are wet while doing this.  Once its smooth,  apply a lip balm to prevent it from drying out.  A lip primer I have used that made my lip stuff stay on through a drink or meal is Mac Prep+Prime Lip.  I'm not too crazy about the texture though,  it made me lips drier later.


I sincerely hope you find this post informative,  if you would like to add anything,  or ask a question,  please feel free to post your request in the comment box.  Ciao!

6 comments:

Nightingale said...

Very nice! But they are expensive tho!

Beauty Magnet said...

I dont know if I posted the prices? One thing though is that these primers protect your skin from long term damage, and a little goes a long way! An alternative would be to ask for samples lol

Nightingale said...

I know they are expensive cos they showed me one at clarins lol.. thanks for the tip.. I will definately ask for samples.

Beauty Magnet said...

You want to be creful with th Clarins Primer. I have tried Instant touch, and it remains untouched on my dresser. It's actually for older, wrinkled skin, and its made to plump the skin out. I would say try smashbox, there sre always samples available.

9jaFOODie said...

I am inspired to try a primer now. question: must i put foundation over it?

Beauty Magnet said...

Not at all. I actually find that when I use it with a face powder, It keeps it on throughout the day with no need for touchups!